Friday, October 12, 2012

μηφυναι &c

It's been awhile since I've written, but I just added my blog to my facebook info and I figure if any stalkers see it, they should have something recent to read.
I am in Texas, visiting my older sister, and I have three things to say about it: 1) it's really humid here 2) everyone is nicer here...probably cause they have more oxygen... 3) I've decided this is my second favorite state.
Moving on, I don't exactly have anything to write about today. But! I will ramble, in the interest of keeping you entertained. Oh my goodness, I DO have something for you. If I can find it, there is a letter that one of my most favorite authors, Edward Lear, that he composed for a newborn baby girl. It is so very sweet and inspirational that it must be shared!
 Ah!!! I found it. I may not be able to get the full version, but the bulk of it is able to be shared.

Here it is:

My dear little tiny child,
You will forgive my familiar mode of addressing you, because, you know, -you have as yet got no Christian name-;-& to say 'my dear Miss Decie' would be as much too formal, as 'my dear Decie' would be too rude. But as your Grandmama has written to me that you are just born I will congratulate you, & possibly this is one of the first letters you have as yet received. One of the old Greek Tragedians says- and I am sure you will not think me impertinent in translating what he says- μηφυναι &c because there has not been time hitherto to buy you a Greek Dictionary, (& I feel sure you cannot read Sophocles with-out, -besides, the Dictionaries are so fat & heavy I am certain you could not use them comfortably to yourself & your nurse,) -μηφυναι &c- which means 'it is better never to have [been] born at all, or if born, -to die as soon as possible.' But this I wholly dissent from: & on the contrary I congratulate you heartily on coming into a world where if we look for it there is far more good & pleasure than we can use up - even in the longest life. And you in particular will find that you have - all quite without any of your own exertions - a mother & a father, - a grandmother and grandfather, - some uncles, -an extremely merry brother (who propels himself along the floor like a compasses,) a conservatory, & a croquet ground, & a respectable old cove who is very fond of small children & will give you an Alphabet bye & bye. -I there-fore advise you to live & laugh as long you can for your own pleasure, & and that of all your belongings.
Please tell your Grandmama that I also wished to stop when the carriage passed but couldn't- & say also, that I will write to her shortly. And now my dear you have read enough for the present. Good night, & believe me,
Your affte. old friend
         Edward Lear.
Give my love to your Papa & Mama


Oh my dear Mr. Lear. You are fantastic. I love the part about finding love and pleasure in life. Ok, I am done for now.

Until next time,
Plumbs and figgy pudding,
Helena

No comments:

Post a Comment